Sunday, March 18, 2007

Willpower

I am so envious of the mothers and fathers who can stop at one or two kids. (Yes, I know about only replace yourself etc.) How compact life could be...
But I came from the LOUD family (4 kids mom, dad and live-in grandma) and even though we were notoriously known as such, I was secretly proud of it.

All of my first cousins are neat sets of twos. When I was younger my mother would explain to me that the reason Peter and Katie could go to Australia was because there were only two of them. The reason why Lynn and Christie didn't have to ride in an embarrassing Caprice Classic station wagon (there I go with the car thing again) was because there were two of them....get where I am going here...
My mother never alluded to the fact that two was better though, it was just the way it was for my cousins.

So I have two boys, Jamie (almost 4) and Colin (15 months) and I think I could provide them with that neat set of two living style. Trips to beaches that require plane trips, ratio of one adult one child.....but then can I deny them the fun of that LOUD family? (well, we are already loud). I really did think that I was done after two kids when I caught my older son trying to smother his little brother (one month old) with bubble wrap.

Speaking of even numbers...I used to have to make sure every word I read was an even number. Really. This was when I was really young. I would keep counting the letters until they neatly ended up in even numbers. The word "color" for instance, odd with 5 letters, drove me nuts. I would have to couple it with another odd number word to even it out. Color World=10 letters, okay. I'm sure there's a medical condition associated with this.

If I have three kids am I going to have to have 4? That is the question.....I think I've grown out of that weird OCD thing, or have I?

No comments: