Wednesday, March 25, 2009

ROYGBIV



I recently realized that I really love the simplicity of my kid's watercolors-the quality not so much. But it isn't too bad-I don't do RoseArt....by the way, moms who want creative kids take note, don't skimp on art supplies. I don't mean that you should go out and buy Windsor Newton gouache for kitchen table projects. I mean, no waxy crayons, no watercolors that look like they already been watered down, and no colored pencils that make you have to press so hard the color makes an arroyo in the paper. Kids can get frustrated easily and you can set them up for much better success if they can actually SEE the colors they are putting down on the page. And it's a good thing if the clay they are working with doesn't turn into an unintended rock sculpture. Okay, off my art teacher soap box....
I recently bought a moderately nice set of pan watercolors (Windsor and Newton-only the best for mom of course) and I am loving them. I feel kind of kid-like with my own little scoops of paints in rainbow order.
Last night, I had the irresistible urge to do two things...one was to bake up some peanut butter cookies while watching a little Biggest Loser-I know, it's heartless and the other was to paint with my new watercolors a giraffe with a lady who is ignoring him. So I did both.
It's gotten to the point where my husband just shakes his head and doesn't ask....
Why, well, because the answer would be a rather matter of fact....
I am making cookies and painting pooh poohed giraffes and what are you doing?

2 comments:

Xanthe said...

I agree about giving kids good art supplies. Years ago, I gave my daughter, then 6, a set of Prisma color pencils. Over the years we've added to it. Her drawings are amazing and very colorful. Much better than if she was stuck with Crayola pencils.

Elizabeth said...

Totally agree about using better art supplies... Rose Art products just fall apart or look weak. Love your activities : ) Me? I'm working on putting the constantly wandering inanimate objects back to their homes today and planning for Art Friday tommorow: fake sumi-e with straws and watered down paint and tissue paper cherry blossoms : )