One!

It's 1979 and I am pedaling my 3 speed Schwinn to dance class. Hanging off my handlebars is a red Capezio bag, my prize possession and in it, my black ballet slippers (no pink for me thank you), and a handful of pennies that are jangling around as I curve and steer and ride my bike over the bumpy path. I won those pennies in swim class. I knuckle scraped them off the bottom of the deep end trying to impress my swim instructor, Bob, who, in fact, was bitten by a shark, making him all the more impressive.
I am a good little dancer. Why? You ask..... because I even danced with my fingers. I remember thinking a ha, I know something other little girl tutu dancers don't know-that you have to USE your whole body to dance.
I get moved up to the advanced class where I am one of the two youngest. Yep, that's me on the very end of the Chorus Line with tuxedo printed bodysuit, top hat and plastic cane. And then, dammit, after a couple of years, my beloved instructor, Mrs. Cope moves away leaving me with (and I am not making this up) a VERY large, sweaty, unflexible and mean old ballerina...gone is the cool music....Mr. Bojangles (whoever sang that), gone is the 70's version of Pachobel's Canon, enter boring Bach, skiddish Mozart...nothing anyone could keep a beat to. This is straight up classical and I hate it.

I quit.

I never learned about modern dance or other forms of dances until college. Shucks.
And so, it's time folks, it's time for another season of So You Think You Can Dance. And I have brought out the black ballet slippers, I'm practicing first position and pirouettes again. I'm throwing a little chasse and leg swings into the mix too. And best of all....let's sing it folks!

One singular sensation
Every little step she takes.
One thrilling combination
Every move that she makes.
One smile and suddenly nobody else will do;
You know you'll never be lonely with you know who.

One!
(boy, it still gives me chills)

Comments

Rowena said…
I am so excited for the new season of SYTYCD. I grew up with a Degas ballerina print, and although I never took dance lessons, I think I wanted to live in the painting.
Pam said…
In my next life, I'm coming back as a dancer ! Soooo glad to see someone who loves these dance shows as much as I do ;o)

Popular Posts