Why Does Time Fly By So Fast When You Get Older?

 (My mother with birthday cake-1946ish)


I've been thinking a lot lately about how it seems that time passes so quickly these days. The business? The crazy whirling of it all? No time to think, to slow down?
And I've been wondering recently if anyone else my age has noticed this too....then lo and behold what do I hear on All Things Considered? (the NPR program that may possibly make me smarter-well at least it makes me seem smart and that is JUST as important...my husband has told me (UVA grad that he is) that he thinks I am getting smarter with all of the reading and listening to NPR that I do and in contrast he is getting dumber as we get older, chuckle chuckle...it's all part of my evil plan folks)
Sooooo......other people have been wondering the same thing.....
 Why does time fly by so fast when you get older?
From the segment:
As people get older, "they just have this sense, this feeling that time is going faster than they are," says Warren Meck, a psychology professor at Duke University.
This seems to be true across cultures, across time, all over the world.
No one is sure where this feeling comes from.
Scientists have theories, of course, and one of them is that when you experience something for the very first time, more details, more information gets stored in your memory. Think about your first kiss.
Neuroscientist David Eagleman of Baylor College of Medicine says that since the touch of the lips, the excitement, the taste, the smell — everything about this moment is novel — you aren't embroidering a bank of previous experiences, you are starting fresh.
Have you noticed, he says, that when you recall your first kisses, early birthdays, your earliest summer vacations, they seem to be in slow motion? "I know when I look back on a childhood summer, it seems to have lasted forever," he says.
That's because when it's the "first", there are so many things to remember. The list of encoded memories is so dense, reading them back gives you a feeling that they must have taken forever. But that's an illusion. "It's a construction of the brain," says Eagleman. "The more memory you have of something, you think, 'Wow, that really took a long time!'

It's fascinating. If you have a minute go to the link above and read or listen to the rest. I know there's always a running joke about me going crazy (my family will corroborate) but I'm so glad it's finally NOT JUST ME thinking these things. Oh, we'll get back to that later, I'm sure....in due time.

Comments

Popular Posts