Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Coffee, Tea and Me and You and Your Kids and....

On Sunday I had the pleasure of meeting up with a gaggle (yes, that's a real number) of girlfriends at a local coffee shop. The shop is located in a historic district and had moved into a vacated shoe shop that had been there for egons (yes, another real number). Inside, it was wonderful, mismatched chairs, odd sized tables, floor to ceiling bookshelves, it was not unlike an eclectic thrift shop only with really, really scrumptious soy lattes (my new drink). However, the whole time I am thinking...could I come back here? Answer:Yes....But could I come back here with young kids? Answer: Uh, probably not.....And that got me to thinking, BY GOLLY...someone should open up a kid friendly coffee shop....no, I know there are a few "options" around here in Northern VA but you have to PAY to have your children "USE" their facilities.
No, no folks, this coffee shop would be a real coffee shop ONLY the coffee tables would have no sharp corners.....READ: Kids are welcome. There would be no hip goateed movie blogger on his laptop in the corner.....unless, or course, the kids didn't bother him. We aren't discriminating it's just that people should know, this is no ordinary coffee shop....your New Yorker may end up with a new type of cartooning in it-3 year old style.
We as mothers and fathers would not have to worry that little Johnny might dump a soy latte on your laptop rendering it completely useless and you an apologizing mess. Oh no, families rejoice, because our coffee shop would have plenty of open space, furniture that would actually look better if little Suzy got creative with her 24 colors....the walls would be painted with that chalkboard paint and there would be plenty of bookshelves full of donated second hand children's books. Would it be relaxing with that cool jazzy vibe-heck no! You can go to that coffee shop without the kids. But if you are like me right now, I'd kill to bring my kids somewhere fun, where I could meet my other mother friends, enjoy a tea or coffee, let our kids pull out ALL of the books and color on the walls. Surely this place exists right? Ah, maybe only in my dreams.....my padded corner dreams.....

3 comments:

pam lieber said...

http://www.treehouseplaycafe.com/welcome

Took my nephew here the last time I visited my family in Philly. You would LOVE it !!!

Pam

MaryLiz said...

There is such a place in Michigan :O)

maryliz said...

There is such a place in Chelsea Michigan