Thursday, July 08, 2010

Locomote




I grew up at the neighborhood pool. Learned how to swim, how to make new friends with diving pennies, enjoyed the smell of chlorine on my skin and in my hair. I taught swimming when I was 17 and I was good at it. I coached swimming too and I did all of this for over 10 years......and alas my kids do not know how to swim. It's like when I did some illustration work for La Leche League and had stopped nursing after 8 months (seemed like a good stopping point for both kiddo and mom)...all the while thinking that they would banish me from drawing up the funnies for two of their books....Adventures in Gentle Discipline and Tandem Nursing (I did those cartoons before even having kids, let alone twins or nursing two siblings of different ages).
You would expect my kids to swim and make art right? Well, the art part is their choice but dang it-they WILL learn how to swim. This nervous nelly has had enough and so have all of the other parents hearing me screaming DON'T GO INTO THE 4 FEET...I know you can "touch" in there but what if someone KNOCKS you over....I swear, I am not this overprotective-I let my kids ride their bikes in the street for goodness sakes!  (Which brings me to a really great book I'm reading called Raising Your Free Range Kids-the title explains the jist of it). But when you spent your young adult life as a lifeguard it never goes away. Tweet, WALK! (see there I go again)



Sidenote: J (the 7 yr old) did "start" swimming this week all by himself with a little aid from me. Thank goodness.

No comments: