Tuesday, September 07, 2010

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?


 I don't know about you but I have this really annoying habit of feeling like I'm forgetting to do something. (I know I've written about this before so bear with me, I just have to talk about this stuff). I don't think though that I have always been like this. Could it be because I've got three other people's little agendas taking up my precious hard drive memory? So I was thinking about how to get everything I could possibly need to remember and put it all in one place...perhaps a huge chalkboard wall? Nah, the kids would would turn it into one big smear before you could say-what was I supposed to do on Wednesday?.....perhaps an online calendar-nope, that wouldn't stick with me-part of my quasi remembering is that I find I remember things better if I write them down....I think I am going to have to go Memento sticky note on myself, even writing down the simplest things, like "breathe today" as if it's the only thing I really need to do (wait a minute). Like on Sunday for instance. I lounged on my deck and read. I knew there was stuff to do, art to make, dishes to wash but I needed some r-n-r.  Perhaps if I write it on my TO DO list it will gain some reverence, importance, READ BOOK ON DECK....I can hear it now, "Whatcha doing there Beth/Mom?"
She looks up from her mass market paperback (I love that term-mass market, as if other versions of the paperback aren't for everyone)
"Oh, just checking things off my to do list", she replies.

On Saturday, I went to see the Sound of Music at our performing "outside" theatre of the arts, Wolf Trap. I brought my dancing, singing son, the only 4 year old who knows the National Anthem, yes, all of the words, the real words. The sky was full of puffy clouds, hurricane Earl was blowing a nice breeze, a kiss hello, Maria was alive in the hills in Austria and I had tears in my eyes (yeah, I know but doesn't everyone have a musical that just turns the faucets on?).  Both elements have a starring role in my life, my time spent as a child at Wolf Trap, I remember it vividly. The Sound of Music, the songs I memorized each and every one, loving Liesl who was much older than me (16 going on 17 by the way), I was more like Brigitta-although not as stern. You can fit yourself into almost every character , that is, well, except the Captain, I never related to him, anad I guess not Kurt or Friedrich either. Okay, all of the girls.
My camera is at my brother in laws house. They have been at the beach and I haven't been able to get it back. I felt naked without it. It's become such a tool of mine. So there is no evidence of that beautiful day but in my mind......

4 comments:

Ludid said...

the sound of music is the ultimate in musicals for sure. my son has been singing do re mi since he was
2. i can relate to having to write down simple things like taking time to breath. hope you get some more time for rest & relaxation.

nacherluver said...

Boy do I completely hear you on this post! Sometimes I get so overwhelmed, I let go and ignore the calendar and to-do list. When I get back to it, there's inevitably a bill I didn't pay, or an appointment I missed and the rest of the list has grown in my absence. You know what? Life still goes on! ;)

Caatje said...

And isn't it fun that Liesl (Angela Cartwright) is now a great mixed media artist? ;-)

BTW, here in the Netherlands we have diaries/calendars for entire families where each member gets their own space on a page. Since just about everything we have here was in the USA first I'm sure you have them too ;-)

Beth HF said...

A family calendar....yes! I'm sure they are around here somewhere:) It's funny, at work, I am incredibly organized. But not so much at home. And it's not like I care so much but now that my oldest is a second grader in elementary school, the stakes are higher:)...like, where WAS that field trip form or such.
The Netherlands, cool. And I did not know that about Liesl-figures I would have looked her up. And now I will-I just knew she was grand.