This Is Just To Say

Every time I bite into a plum I think of this funny little poem that was printed in my confirmation book (the one with white bumpy raised typographic vinyl like cover with huge words RECONCILIATION in gold-I loved that the word "silly" was in there, not really but it is). And I mean, every single time I eat a plum, I think of this William Carlos Williams poem (see below). Yet I never thought to look it up until last night. Until then I had just thought it was one of those 70's Catholic hipster kind of "haikus" written by a beatnik like Jesuit......but regardless, I totally understood this poem as a young child..it gathered up all of those child to parent feelings that you could not put into words and as simply as he did..the taking and taking and a little giving and the taking......So do you eat the plums? Do you take your mother's icy, juicy rewards. Yes. Yes, you do.

This Is Just To Say
by William Carlos Williams

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Comments

Elizabeth said…
This is one of my favorite WCW poems, and one of my favorite poems overall, too. Have you checked out the children's book biography of WCW that Melissa Sweet illustrated? Most lovely book, ever.
Beth HF said…
No way! Melissa Sweet is one of my ULTIMATE favorite illustrators-I want to be her when I grow up (hee hee). I just found the "plums" page online. Now I have to buy it:)
Steph said…
I can't eat plums without thinking of that poem either.

Now off to check out that book.

Popular Posts