Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dress Up

Pumpkins-I love the view from above-my favorite-like a flower.


Bought a bunch of these babies-told my husband they were for school and I kept them for myself-I love the names like Curly Head and Punch, the design of them, their ability to hold who knows what and the slight smell of musty tobacco.

There's a rainbow in the clouds but you can't see it-but if you look closely you'll see the boy and his dog-that's the part I love. (a view from my deck)

Old fashioned candy sticks-need I say more.


 This year we have been invited to a pre-Halloween party, you know a pot lucky kind of thing right before the big candy hunt. And it's being held by an artsy group (one I do like very much) but scrolling down on the invitation something catches my eye...have your children come dressed in HOMEMADE costumes (yes, it was in bold-so as not to be missed) and I will be the FIRST artist, mother, lover of all things Halloween to say ARGH! My kids at this age won't come within 6 feet of a Beth Fuller original costume, which usually involves some last minute digging in the closet for ideas (last year I was little "Edie"-Edith Bouvier Beale all because I had just seen Grey Gardens and easily found my polka dotted bathing suit which I promptly wore over my clothes in true little Edie style. The neighbors are still wondering if I actually had a reason for that costume or whether I was three sheets to the wind-it's debatable. Unfortunately, since I AM ALWAYS the one with the camera there is only one little known picture of me in such get-up, which also included a winter hat, fake fur coat and costume jewelry-too bad for you!)

Anyway, I've gotten over the fact that my kids don't want to be decked in a ghost costume intricately made by cutting holes out of an old twin sheet (brilliant-I know). And you would think that I would be good at this stuff. I will give ALL of that glory to my mother-she was magical with her sewing machine. I did however (to save a little face here) make the famous turkey costume for our dog Tucker who ran with it in the Turkey Trot. And I think there just may be a picture of THAT costume somewhere......so I don't think we are going to make the potluck party after all regardless of costume deficiency but I was starting to think, now, just what do I have in my closet? Oh look kids, put on this black cardigan, some jeans, clumpy clogs and wow, you're an artist! Not buying it either eh?

3 comments:

nacherluver said...

Have you ever shopped your local Goodwill? Ours has racks upon racks upon racks of old clothes, wigs, costumes, possibilities. Cost is less than a Halloween shop, creativity must be included if you want a cool get-up, all proceeds go to a good cause! Not completely homemade, but I think it counts!

nacherluver said...

p.s. great pics!

Pam said...

I am starting to love your photography almost as much as your art ! I guess a good eye is a good eye ! Thanks for sharing !