Mantra

piece i did for brain,child awhile back



I used to use the mantra of this too shall pass. I'd try to take a deep breath and tell myself "Beth, this too shall pass."
It got me through some sticky parts, although if you'd told me that my oldest's difficult stage would stretch out to three years (and more), I would have drop kicked that mantra out the back door. Or changed it to This Too Shall Pass In Three or So Unbelievably Difficult Years-not as comforting eh?
So I am switching to the new mantra of What's the Worst Thing That Could Happen? Yes, ask yourself.....you slept through your alarm and are running a few minutes late for work-what's the worst thing that could happen? Lose your job? Probably not. The key is to imagine the absolutely worst situation, the more bizarre the better. Your kids are refusing to wear coats? What's the worst thing that could happen? Well, they (not I, thank you) will be cold and folks will give you bad parent looks. (And yes folks, it IS an old wives tale that being cold will give you a cold.)
Try it yourself, it works. And you can get a good laugh out of it. Caution:it doesn't work quite the same in circumstances when the worst has already happened, however it can be comforting knowing that not much more worse could possibly happen unless of course, you're Charlie Brown or Homer Simpson.

 So while thinking about thinking and mantras and such, I've decided that for at least a month I'm not going to put any art on the site. I cleared all of my postcard pieces out of my studio-making room for new. Now my clotheslines have clips but no art-I wonder what will be up there?
 I'm finding that I need to loosen up, enjoy making art again and not be concentrating on showing it to anyone right now. It's a good thing. I'm also not going to actively seek out other art to look at. I don't mean to say that I'm not going to visit some of my favorite blogs. I'm just going to look away when there's anything drawn, painted, collaged, sandblasted or such. I know this is going to sound weird. But I'm not sure what I want to do anymore.
Don't worry, change is good. I need to explore a little. A new year is a good reason to start afresh.
A friend and colleague of mine said to me the other day "Beth, what you need is a paradigm shift." So I googled it, of course. And found this passage....from a book I read over a decade ago (good book even for a hibernating Catholic-it's not really about religion). It's kind of Oprah-like, nothing you probably haven't heard before but still pretty darn interesting.....


From Conversations With God by Neal Donald Walsch
Be-Do-Have Paradigm Shift

Most people believe if they "have" a thing (more time, money, love -- whatever), then they can finally "do" a thing (write a book, take up a hobby, go on vacation, buy a home, undertake a relationship), which will allow them to "be" a thing (happy, peaceful, content, or in love). In actuality, they are reversing the Be-Do-Have paradigm. In the universe as it really is (as opposed to how you think it is), "havingness" does not produce "beingness," but the other way around.
First you "be" the thing called "happy" (or "knowing," or "wise," or "compassionate," or whatever), then you start "doing" things from this place of beingness -- and soon you discover that what you are doing winds up bringing you the things you've always wanted to "have."
The way to set this creative process (and that's what this is...the process of creation) into motion is to look at what it is you want to "have," ask yourself what you think you would "be" if you "had" that, then go right straight to being.
In this way you reverse the way you've been using the Be-Do-Have paradigm -- in actuality, set it right -- and work with, rather than against, the creative power of the universe.
Here is a short way of stating this principle:
In life, you do not have to do anything. It's all a question of what you are being.

Comments

cheryl.mccann said…
oh 'sad-face' - as my daughter would say. i really like looking at your art. i look at my own blog and figure i don't have enough art on it. it's one of my resolutions to post more and do more.
but, i will still watch and wait for some of yours.

Popular Posts