Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Six Degrees

My sister and I are the original internet surfers. Long ago at bedtime, in our dad-made stacked bunk beds we would play this game: we would both start with the same random word like "kite" and then I would say go and we would see where our thoughts would wander with that simple "starter word". So in my head something like this stream of consciousness would occur:
kite
Chinese dragon kites
scary 
Nightmare on Elm Street
cool striped sweater
Ernie
Sesame Street
New York City
skyscrapers
jumping
parachute
dropping a penny
train tracks
B&O Railroad
Boxcar Kids
Nancy Drew
my friend Christine
ocean
coral
goggles
swimming-pool
showers
athlete's foot....and so on (I'm sure you were thinking the exact same things-how uncanny!) . Each idea reminded me of something else. At the end of the minute or so we would both say the word or thought we were on at that moment I said stop. We would yell out our new word and then try to track back to the original. The jury is still out on whether or not this was the LEAST bit enjoyable for my sister but I loved it. Being the oldest sister you kind of had the monopoly on what annoying word games you could make your younger sister play with you when ALL she wanted to do was sleep.

It is like playing the game of clicking on blogs/websites. It's how you end up from, say, my site here to some goofy guy's blog Dave From Brainerd South Dakota Cookin' with Babe the Blue Ox (yes I just watched Fargo the other night. If you ask me I can do a mean Marge.). So I'm going to play the game "Six Clicks Away" so 6 clicks from this blog here are some of my favorite images with red spot color (this has always been my favorite spot color ever since we did it in my high school lit mag-all Jenny's idea) from the pages I landed on. You can play along too on your blog. I promise not to be bossy.

P.S-I actually found that I can't help but look for inspiration from other artists so it's all null and void on the I'm not going to look at any art this month-that's like saying I'll finally cut the cheese out of my diet-HA!





Japanese Vintage Postcard

Brian W. Ferry



Evan B. Harris

Steven Macdonald-Ramblin' Worker


 The late Margaret Kilgallen













No comments: