Where to?

Murder Mystery in my studio-nope just three year olds painting themselves with my precious fluid acrylics.



Recent discussion in Fullerland:
"Hey, can I take the IPod Touch with me on my Utah trip?" (Hubby is going snowboarding with friends) says Bobby (the husband).
"Um," I respond hesitantly. I'm not sure if I want him loading up Jim Croce on my IPod-I am very picky about my music. He's got good musical taste in some genres (recently he got into the Avett Brothers, well, thank god) but it can border on the 70's line a bit too much for my liking. Is it weird that I am so territorial about my music?
 He continues,
"Well, you don't care if the kids use it. So why should I matter?" he implores.
"I only let the kids play games on it, " I say. Meaning, I don't let them load it up with their music either. (However, I will say that I have never really led my children down the Laurie Berkner road. I know, I've taken a huge musical chunk out of their childhood. But it kind of makes me proud when my kids can sing along with the songs I love.)

"Well," I remark, "The last time you took some electronic device of mine on a snowboarding trip you broke it by dropping it into the snow. How do you know that's not going to happen this time?" (There is evidence of my camera's icy demise as I've seen the video many times, oh, explicative, oops, crash, fade to white snow). There's no answer to that. Older, wiser? Perhaps.

That of course, blew up into HIS and HERS issues. I can honestly say (been with my husband over a decade now) that that is the hardest thing for me. I like mine. I like HIS, HERS, THEIRS and MINE. Yes, I am declaring myself selfish. But as a mother, wife and middle school teacher very often you lose not only things that you love, but your space and your time. Which brings me to MY trip this year. As my husband will be cascading down soft fluffy mountains of snow as HIS trip, I wonder what mine will be. And I've tossed around a lot of ideas. But heaven to me would be long stretches of time to just make art....with very little interruption....except interrupting myself that is.

Speaking of where to, I celebrated my 39th birthday last Wednesday. And now, we don't do too much these days for the adult birthdays but this year, my kids really got into it and got me really cool gifts and that was the best gift in itself. Then we went on a winery tour (sans kids) down in central Virginia and stayed in a bed and breakfast with good friends and neighbors (the best kind). It was relaxing and 70 degrees, really. Note to self:take trips more often. Now where to?

The Mark Addy Inn



Cool shades my kids picked out for me.


Sunset in Rockfish Valley

Blue Birthday Hydrangeas-light blue (although they look purple in the light), favorite color.

Comments

nacherluver said…
I can relate to the kid's mess, the his vs. hers, the turning 39. The part I wish I could relate to? The trips! What fun. Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
Oh, and sorry about the rug. Gulp!
Beth HF said…
I went ahead and just got rid of the carpet. It's much easier now to spill things!! I know, the trips are so infrequent and yet so needed.

Popular Posts