Monday, May 02, 2011

Three Sisters Island



So, lucky me, I am one of 52 Washington DC artists who were picked to be part of the newest Art In Hand deck (of cards). Pretty darn cool. Once again, my scanner doesn't do it much justice....Most people think of Washington monuments, White Houses and politics when they think of our Nation's Capitol but no, NOT me, I think about driving in to DC on the GW Parkway and looking down into the Potomac River that runs parallel. There are quite a few rocky mini islands in the water and one day either my mother or a friend of hers (I think it was a family friend) told me of the legend of the Three Sisters Islands. Legend has it that three American Indian sisters were being pursued by a Chieftain and tried to cross and drowned there. Apparently, these three islands are known to this day as being magnets for boats to crash into, the Coast Guard (or whoever does the Potomac rescues) are called out there quite a bit. So I drew/painted my three ghostly sisters on top of a vintage Girl Scout manual page on How To Canoe....very appropriate.
Most of our originals will be on display at the Touchstone Gallery in DC in July.

3 comments:

nacherluver said...

Wow! Congrats! Love the piece and the story behind it.

Elizabeth said...

I think your next big project should be creating art for ALL the lesser-known monuments and historical points in greater DC ; ) I was checking this project out recently... thinking I need to have a set of these cards if only to brag that I happen to know one of the artists.
: ) (I'm not much of an actual cards player)

Elizabeth said...

I think your next big project should be creating art for ALL the lesser-known monuments and historical points in greater DC ; ) I was checking this project out recently... thinking I need to have a set of these cards if only to brag that I happen to know one of the artists.
: ) (I'm not much of an actual cards player)