Thursday, June 02, 2011

Teeth (and art)



I went to the dentist this week. I'm not a big fan of the dentist after having a cavity filled years ago without enough novocaine. (And that'll do it too.) Hand pounding on chair arm, dentist drilling away oblivious to the periodontal torture going on below. It's a true story but it's also an excuse to put the dentist off. Don't get me wrong, I don't have decaying teeth. I'm lucky to have a really good set which I use my whirling Sonicare on-thank you Mom, Christmas Gift 2007. I just have a bad habit of delaying bad news. You see, I still have two wisdom teeth. And after much denial and bargaining with my dentist, they are going to have to go this summer. I knew this a couple of years ago but it was right when I got sick (June 11, 2009 to be exact-I know, it's weird.) but I just couldn't submit myself to any more "procedures" pain and pity that year (see almost all posts in years 2009-2010).

Right after receiving the impending doom news (they aren't doing so well, the wisdom teeth) my dentist looked at my kind of chipped front teeth. She remarked that they had become a victim of my night grinding (yeah, I have that too) and asked could she just file them a bit-smooth them out? (Well, we all know that my chipped teeth came from Lego removal and wine glasses right?). Really? (Who jumps at the chance to have their teeth filed? ME!) Have at it, lady! And she did. This didn't hurt me at all and after my teeth looked like perfect school children all lined up and decades younger. I know! It really made my day-so simple so easy.....if only I hadn't been putting off that appointment for so long...who knew?

So this summer it's chipmunk face for me for a couple of days, having those teeth removed. But who knows maybe it'll smooth all of my wrinkles out. I am so liking this dentist stuff......



1 comment:

Tenley said...

Beth -- funny and true story: when I was a kid I had ridiculously ridged bottom edges to my front teeth. I was really self-conscious about it. The bottoms were kind of like the edge of a crocheted doily -- does that make sense? Anyway, one day when I was a teenager I took up my mom's metal nail file, and went to town. It worked! As you said, something so simple can make a huge difference. I don't think I'd recommend self-dentistry to anyone though ... it was actually pretty nuts of me. :)

Don't worry about the wisdom teeth. Just ask him to knock you out. You'll be fine!