To Follow (or not, that is the question)

The Fuller Family pumpkin


I don't do directions. (you can use that if you want). And before kids this was not such a problem, aside from an Ikea bookcase that ended up more like a coffee table or actually ANY recipe that I thought perhaps didn't need baking soda. I managed well enough without the 1, 2, 3. Don't get me wrong, I have been known to read trail maps but didn't necessarily follow them when I lived in Colorado (I'm not that irresponsible). AND, I always left a note on my car that gave a round-about area that my mountain lion savaged body could be found in. (I am all about saving the taxpayer that one more day of helicopter searching.) But now, I am confronted with homework and projects, all of which require the reading and more importantly the following of directions.
Yesterday we, the whole family, set about decorating a pumpkin for my son's Kindergarten October Family Project. The directions were to decorate the pumpkin (in my mind-a real pumpkin) using objects found in the house, cereal, string, yarn, cotton balls.....in my Amelia Bedelia mode, I thought...hmmm....how to glue cotton balls onto a three dimensional waxy orange surface? So out came the hot glue gun, wire, and my BAG-O-STUFF (cue husband's weird look) which has the remnants of last year's Recycle Bot Project (a whole other story). And like a creative pack of wolves, we descended on the pumpkin. Voila-see above.

Today, I look further down the instructions-OH, there is a page two.....




It's a pumpkin to PRINT out and decorate. OOPS, gasp, what to do (and when have I EVER chosen 3D over 2D?)....so we take a picture of our creation (see way above) and GLUE that onto the print out. Done.
Now, I'm wondering if we let his teacher think that we are just over achievers when it comes to the monthly family project OR do we tell her that mom can't read, no, can't follow directions? I'd better get better at this or else my son's teacher may just have a full grown evergreen tree decorated in cotton balls in her classroom come December.


P.S-I love, love, love, Amelia Bedelia.




Comments

Elizabeth said…
Oh my gosh, this story had me giggling. A lot. I, too, love Amelia Bedelia, and this might be the best real-life re-enactment I've ever heard of : ) (Also not a super direction follower, and based on something that came home in Maddie's folder today, I'm afraid I've passed it on...)
Jenni Horne said…
You just made me laugh so hard during my "duty free" lunch!! If I'd been drinking milk it surely would have made its way out my nose. HEHEHEHEHE.....
Katherine said…
That is just about the funniest thing I've seen/heard in eons!

Popular Posts