Catching Up



Catching up here....been sick, sick, sick....finally. Yes, I actually was getting a bit worried that I was not catching the common cold. Sure, it's great to have a healthy immune system but I think there is something wrong with people who don't get sick. Is that bad of me? Yes. But I digress, I have been having a wonderful year so far. You saw my excursion to Puerto Rico but what I didn't tell you was that there was also a SURPRISE party thrown for me by my husband and siblings. And let me tell you, this was no easy feat. I am not nosy, I don't go through my husband's emails or pockets, but I am very intuitive. I can sense when something's awry. My brother told my husband, "Good luck with that, Beth is a gumshoe (which required both of us to look that up-what a GREAT word). But I was surprised, completely and totally surprised. Unfortunately, there aren't any pictures of the party since the pictorial historian (that's what I call myself) was the flabbergasted center of attention and not behind her camera. There is a video of my entrance and I came through the wrong door, I've been told. What what I have seen of it, it is pretty darn funny. So as soon as I can figure out how to get that off my husband's computer of a phone, I will.

Other than that (I'm still reeling).....I've been working on a project that is done in a very specific children's book style and I'm finding that that type of work brings out the worst perfectionist in me. It's simple characters, watercolor washes and line art, an illustration style I have always enjoyed, but not always enjoyed "doing". It doesn't leave much room for error. And after painting the same page for the third time, it gets frustrating. But it will turn out good in the end, it will, it will, it will..........

So, I got a Nook Tablet for Christmas and have completely turned to the dark side...no, not totally, I'm just a little gray, somewhere in between. Having this hi tech tool has been more rewarding than I would have thought and one of the gems that I have been reading is by Eric Maisel, a creativity coach. I know you too have been thinking, eh gads, what IS that and is that really necessary? I just finished his Coaching the Artist Within and with the Nook I am able to electronically highlight the parts I want to re-read and then with the touch of a button bring up all of the key parts I want to reflect on. I truly, emphatically, completely, totally, irrevocably, entirely recommend this book for any creative person. I am already reading his Creativity For Life and it is equally impactful (apparently the dictionary is telling me that this is not a real word-who knew?). What I love most about his books are that they are extremely practical and not full of lofty quotes like "Trust the artist within." I'm also finding that the books are great tools for procrastinating.....which is one thing he tells us to try not to do, do the work, make the mistakes.....go through the RIGHT door, I mean, really.

Comments

ingrid said…
I came across your blog today via sweet mess and I found this post you wrote on Eric Meisel's book- I too am reading it ( though not on a nook...yet). My copy is full of pen marks and my companion journal full of entries and reflections. I actually bought the book specifically for the chapter called becoming an anxiety expert- it made me laugh. I'm about ready to start the next book..He's just so right about me. I want to set up a little cot for this man in my studio....
glad to have discovered a kindred soul today,

Popular Posts