Kodaslide



From Don Draper of Mad Men:

Nostalgia - it's delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It's not called the wheel, it's called the carousel. It let's us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved. 

I think that absolutely sums up the art that I make and why I make it. The Kodaslide compartment index above is a copy from the one I found in my parent's Kodak Carousel. I can't use the original. I'm not entirely happy with the collage above but I feel like if I don't push through and just make things, good or bad, it's just like I've gotten off the darn carousel. So here's to getting back on and going back home again.
Happy New Year!

Comments

nacherluver said…
It's a lovely piece! Really lovely and I love the sentiment you have written with it. Wow. Moving words. Felt it all. I visit your page every time you post a piece of work. I'm not always good at commenting as time only allows so much, but I absorb and appreciate and love every piece of beauty you put out.

Popular Posts